Project: The Wizard of Oz
Designer: Laura Rimola
Company: The Little Stitcher
Fabric: 40ct. Morning Dew by Zweigart
Floss used: Gentle Arts Sampler/Shaker Threads and Kreinik
Approximate time: 7 days
This was my first start of Stitch Maynia.
This one was originally charted with DMC, but I’ve recently discovered that I really love Gentle Arts, so I decided to convert everything to that. I also decided to try out 40 count for the first time. I loved it.
I will be turning this into a pillow and entering it into a contest at the International Wizard of Oz Convention in July/August.
Over all, my changes (color swaps aside) were very minimal. I used a blending filament on the Ruby Slippers and the “T” and “H.” I also changed all ribbons to lazy daisies. The big “additions” were to give Toto a tongue, and to put a drop of oil on the Tin Man’s oil can, as well as some backstitching to him.
For those curious about the color changes, this is what I did:
- “The Wizard of Oz” – Rio Carnivale, limited edition
- Filigre – Grape Leaf
- Flower Petals – Antique Rose
- Flower Stems – Bayberry
- Dorothy – Brown Bear (Hair), Picket Fence (Blouse), Morning Glory (Dress, Socks and Trims), Apricot Blush (Skin), Harvest Basket (Basket), Ruby Slipper (well duh), Kreinik 061 BF (Ruby Slippers)
- Toto – Soot [Wool], Antique Rose (tongue)
- Yellow Brick Road – Ale, limited edition
- “There’s No Place Like Home” – Ruby Slipper and Kreinik 061 BF
- Scarecrow – Soot [Wool] (hat), Harvest Basket (nose, ropes), Apricot Blush (head), Chives (tunic), Buttercrunch (straw), Cinnamon [Wool] (pants), Rio Carnivale, limited edition (patches), Dark Chocolate (boots)
- Tin Man – Soot (Hat, nose, joints, boots, backstitch), Pebble (head, arms and legs), Barn Grey (oil can and neck), Aged Pewter (torso)
- Cowardly Lion – Cinnamon [Wool] (main, tail and belly), Toffee (body), Ruby Slipper (bow), Dark Chocolate (facial features)