Project: Story Time Sampler – Sherlock Holmes
Designer: Ashleigh and Amber
Company: The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery
Fabric: 32 ct. Zweigart Petit Point Navy Blue and White Belfast Linen
Floss used: DMC, Gentle Arts, and Kreinik
Approximate time: not sure at this point
I would like to take this moment to say that I really love what Ashleigh and Amanda do. Their charts are full of whimsy and joy and are great for beginners and advanced stitchers. I appreciate all the work they put into their designs and how hard they work to keep them simple enough for newbies. My alterations are in no way at all meant to take away from what they do. I do this mostly as a challenge for myself to try and explore new things.
Entire Project Changes
1) No DMC 5200. I used Ecru or DMC 3024 in place of the 5200. I did this for two reasons. First and foremost, it’s easier on my eyes to stitch with the other two, particularly agains my fabric. The other reason is that I generally find the off-whites more interesting too look at visually than just white. Yes, white does have it’s uses and I may end up using it elsewhere in the project if I feel it would be the stronger choice, but in general, you’ll see something else.
2) No Seafoam. Unfortunately, as pretty as Seafoam is, it’s too light against my fabric…so it is going the way of the dinosaur. For The Secret Garden I used Grasshopper from WDW. I don’t know for sure if I’ll do it every time, but at least for now, I will.
Month Specific Changes
WDW Seafoam – GAST Country Redwood (Frame)
DMC 3024 – DMC 3032
DMC 680 – Kreinik 002
Kreinik 002BF – Flames
Alterations to Original
I did do his magnifying glass in petit point though.
I did these with Kreinik, because sparkly.
I did some detail work on the table, as well as adding a book and homborg style hat to the top. The book was merely decoration, the hat is a nod to Dr. Watson
I added the bell pull as a nod to The Speckled Band, my first Sherlock story that wasn’t Hound of the Baskervilles and Sir Doyle’s favorite story that he wrote.
I added a smoke curl to the pipe, because of course.
And that’s it! Those are all the changes I did to Sherlock Holmes. I do not have charts for these because it would really violate copyright for me to do so, but please, feel free to borrow any changes I made!